Friday, March 30, 2012

What Has This World Come To?

        So, I saw on the internet that Mattel, the makers of Barbie, has decided to go ahead and make a "Beautiful and Bald Barbie" to give to children with cancer.  I saw this a couple weeks ago, but didn't think the company would actually do anything with it.  There are also a couple others, including Bratz and Moxie.  Now, I'm all for making toys for kids, but a bald toy?  There are so many more kids with heart problems who actually die from their disease, but they get almost no recognition simply because they don't look sick.  Can somebody please explain to me how that works?  What are you supposed to say to a kid with heart problems when he asks why his toy doesn't have a scar on his chest like he does?  You really can't.  I may start a petition to the major toy companies, asking them to consider widening their narrow views into other issues.  Just because a child may look perfectly normal on the outside does not mean that they really are.  Don't be so shallow and only look at a person's outside appearance.  I actually have a little brother who has a serious heart defect.  He's had it since he was born.  It is called Shone's Complex and the doctors said that if he had been born a few years earlier, he would have died.  He is only nine, but has had four surgeries, all before the age of six.  He was recently an ambassador for his elementary school.  The school ended up raising thousands of dollars for research, but it's just not enough.  Only about 1% of every penny goes toward research on childhood heart defects.  I would like to start a campaign or some sort of awareness, but I just don't have the time.  I need all of you to help me with this.  If you have any ideas, let me know. I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment